WELCOME to our blog's new look!
If you're looking for our website, go to www.cupcakegallery.com.au

Saturday, May 29, 2010

African Water Well


A friend was helping their church organise a 'Survive under 5' event as part of the Micah Challenge. It was a local event which aimed to raise awareness of high child mortality rates around the world, and to challenge action to reduce these deaths by two-thirds.

Part of the event was a 'baking contest' and she suggested I enter it. So I did!

The criteria was:
- Must include at least three fair-trade ingredients.
- it has to incorporate the themes of child and maternal health and the goal of seeing more children survive past the age of 5

So this is what I came up with:

You can't see it well in these photos, but around the cake are the words: "5000 children die daily from unclean water. $600 pays for a well to bring clean water to a community"

My fair trade ingredients were: dark chocolate, coffee, and sugar.








I won first prize out of the 4 entries there, but felt a little bad because my competition was a 7 year old, a 14 year old, and an 80 year old who entered their delicious sponge cakes! Cakes that I'm sure were yummier than my plain old chocolate cake (hidden inside the well). My prize was a fairtrade cookbook, presented by politician Maxine McKew!

I had fun making this cake which is now my absolute favourite creation out of all the cakes I've done so far. I just love it! Probably because it was for a cause that is close to my heart.

No comments: